Website Update for October 6, 2023
The Town of Jackson’s Building Department conducts virtual inspections on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In-person inspections are conducted on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
The Building Department will no longer be confirming inspection requests. It is the responsibility of the permit holder/agent to be ready for your inspection per the two-hour inspection window requested. The Town of Jackson’s Building Department will contact the permit holder/agent requesting the inspection only if the two-hour window requested cannot be accommodated.
Please go to the Town of Jackson’s Building Inspection web page (tab to left) for detailed instructions on the current inspection process.
The Town will be utilizing the following process for in-take and issuing permits. We will no longer do over the counter permitting.
• Please submit all electronic submittal materials via email to Town Building. We will no longer accept hard/paper copies.
• A $500.00 nonrefundable plan review fee will be due for all commercial building permit submittals. Please contact Kelly Bowlin with your credit card information or drop payment off at the front desk of the Planning & Building Department at Town Hall.
Procedures for obtaining trade permits:
• Electrical, HVAC and Plumbing permit applications can be found online under their respective tabs on the Building Department page.
• Fill out the application – fees are on the back. In able to process the submittal, a valid email address is required to be listed on the application.
• If a building permit is associated with the trade permit, please provide us with the corresponding number.
• Submit applications via email to email@example.com.
• Upon receipt, we have 48 hours to process the application request. Once processed you will be notified to make payment. Payment can be made with a credit card over the phone. We take Visa, Mastercard or Discover. Another option is dropping the fee off at the front desk of the Planning & Building Department. Once processed you will receive your permit electronically.
• Any work requiring a trade permit and inspection defined in the appropriate code shall be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid Town of Jackson Contractor’s license.
• Trades permits must be obtained prior to starting the work. If not, a penalty fee will be assessed.
Procedures for picking up permits:
• Once permits are ready for issuance, the applicant will be notified regarding approval and payment. Payment can be dropped off at the front desk of the Planning & Building Department, or can be made with a credit card over the phone. We take visa, Mastercard or Discover. We will not accept a credit card for payment if the fees are over $10,000.00.
• Once payment is received , we will email you the permit along with the corresponding documents, conditions of approval and appropriate inspection cards.
Inspections are a verification process conducted throughout construction as required by the adopted International Building Codes, by local ordinances and by law.
Commercial building permits are required in the Town of Jackson to assure the development is consistent with building codes and other applicable regulations.
Learn about the purpose and requirements for contractor licensing.
Find out about the demolition permit process.
View a list of required design criteria for building in the Town of Jackson.
Electrical permits are required for all permanent wiring installed in buildings and structures and are issued for work to be completed as listed on the electrical permit application.
Find out about how the Building Division controls grading erosion.
House numbering is the system of giving a unique number to each building in a street or area, with the intention of making it easier to locate a particular building. All numbers are assigned by the Planning and Building Department.
Read the requirements for getting a mechanical permit.
Review the permit fees and cost schedules associated with building.
See what is required for plumbing projects.
Find the regulations for public right of ways.
Access useful reports put together by the Building Division.
A residential building permit is required in the Town of Jackson to construct any new one and two family dwellings, residential additions, residential remodels, and other improvements in order to assure that the construction is consistent with building codes and other applicable regulations.
This application is for tents/structures that are greater than 120 sq. ft. and are erected for less than 180 days in a 365-day period. Please note that the days must be consecutive, and the entire structure must be removed prior to the 180th day. If the structure is attached to an existing structure, elevated deck or for more than 179 days in a 365-day period a Commercial Building Permit must be used, and the structure must meet the International Building Code Requirements.