The purpose is to provide minimum safety measures and equipment to protect property, workmen and the public as provided by the contractor licensing ordinance or otherwise prescribed by the Town of Jackson and other local, State or Federal regulations.
The following trades are licensed under the contracting licensing ordinance set forth by the Town of Jackson. The time in service requirement for each trade can be found in Title 15-Chapter 15.36.050 of the Jackson Municipal Code.
- Building Contractor – Restricted (Class Br) – To contract for work of a non-structural nature in a commercial tenant space with a maximum gross floor area of 5000 square feet or less and for the construction, alterations and repairs of one and two family residences, townhouses and buildings accessory thereto.
- Building Contractor (Class B) – To contract for the construction, alteration or repair of commercial buildings and single or multi-dwelling residential buildings, not exceeding three (3) stories in height.
- Electrical Contractor – A person or company that holds a State of Wyoming electrical contractor license. Electrical contractors are not subject to the WAM testing program as referenced in 15.36.050 C.
- Fire Sprinkler Contractor - Installation, repair and maintenance of fire sprinkler systems including all necessary connections to the potable water supply and related back flow prevention devices.
- Gas Service Contractor - Installation, repair or maintenance of fuel gas systems.
- General Contractor (Class A) – To contract for the construction, alteration or repair of any type or size of structure.
- Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Contractor - Installation, alteration, addition to, relocation, or replacement of any heating, ventilating, cooling, refrigeration system, incinerators or other miscellaneous heat-producing appliances, to include gas piping of related equipment.
- Lawn Sprinkler Installer - Installation of water lines for lawn sprinkler systems, including their connection to potable water supply and related backflow prevention devices. The appropriately licensed low voltage or electrical contractor shall perform electrical installations.
- Low Voltage Electrical Contractor – A person or company that holds any or all of the low voltage electrical contractor categories and is licensed in those categories by the State of Wyoming. Low voltage electrical contractors are not subject to the WAM testing program as referenced in 15.36.050.
- Plumbing Contractor - Installation, alteration, addition or relocation of all sanitary plumbing, sanitary sewer and potable water supply and distribution piping, including all plumbing fixtures and traps and potable water-treating or water-using equipment, and including piping for transmission of chemicals, oil and gases, installation of steam and hydronic heating and chilled systems and water heaters and related vents. The appropriate licensed low voltage or electrical contractor shall perform electrical installations.
- Refrigeration Contractor - Installation and repair or maintenance of refrigeration systems for freezing or cooling cabinets and mechanically refrigerated air- conditioning units.
- Residential Contractor (Class C) – To contract for the construction, alterations and repairs of one and two family residences, and buildings accessory thereto.
- Water Conditioning Installer - Installation and repair of potable water softeners and filtering equipment, including all necessary connections to the potable water supply and drainage system and related backflow prevention devices. The appropriately licensed low voltage or electrical contractor shall perform electrical installations.
- Wood Stove/Gas Stove Installer - Installation, alteration, or relocation of any solid fuel or gas heating appliance and venting.
Certificate of Qualification (COQ)
A Certificates of Qualification card shall be required of individuals for all types of work involving skills as specified and classified above. In lieu of a Town of Jackson Certificate of Qualification card, masters, journeyman, and apprentices in the electrical trade shall hold the appropriate card(s) issued by the State of Wyoming.While engaged in a building or trade activity, the Certificate of Qualification card shall be in the possession of the individual. Every contractor shall be required to have in their employ a person holding a master certificate of qualification (COQ) card in such classification as the license is issued. The license shall be valid only as long as the named master shall remain in the employ of the licensee in an active, full-time capacity.
The first step in the contractor licensing process is to obtain a Certificate of Qualification (COQ) card for the master of record. It is a card that is issued from the Town of Jackson to the Master of Record. In Lieu of a Town of Jackson COQ card, Electrical Contractors provide the Town with their applicable State of Wyoming electrical cards. Once the COQ card is approved, step two is converting the card to a contractors’ license. When that step is completed the contractor is valid to work in the Town of Jackson and Teton County.
There are 3 options for obtaining the COQ card.
Option 1 - Testing
The Town uses the International Code Council National Contractor/Trades Examination. We will only accept test under the current code that we have adopted. If you choose to test you still must meet the minimum time in service requirement for the trade you are testing for.
The master/qualifier will schedule the test through Pearson View testing facility. When the master/qualifier passes they will be given a testing certificate showing the test they took and that they passed. To start the licensing process the master/qualifier will need to submit a copy of the testing certificate they received, a completed certificate of qualification application and the application fee of $50. Testing Information.
Option 2 - Reciprocity
The master/qualifier is currently licensed and in good standing in one of the states listed on the attached link. To start the licensing process the master/qualifier must fill out a certificate of qualification application, provide a copy of their drivers license, attach verification of license from reciprocating state and the application fee of $50.
Option 3 - Go Before the Board of Examiners (BOE)
The BOE meets every second Tuesday of the Month. The master/qualifier must fill out the Town of Jackson Reference form and give it to people that they have worked with or for. The BOE likes to see a minimum of 3 reference forms for review. The reference forms must be provided directly to the Town of Jackson from the individual giving the reference. The reference forms cannot be emailed or faxed.
The master/qualifier will need to submit, 14 days prior to the board meeting, a completed certificate of qualification application, portfolio showing body of work and application fee of $50. We will attach any reference forms that we have received to the application/portfolio, put it on the agenda and assign it to one of our board members. We ask that the master/qualifier attend the board meeting (4:30 in council chambers).
Once the COQ card is approved and the master/qualifier of the company is notified, then the contractor license can be applied for by filling out the contractor license application, providing the Town with the required documents (see checklist) and paying the initial fee of $300.
A homeowner who constructs, alters or repairs their own residence that they occupy, including accessory buildings may do so without a contractor’s license. A homeowner building their own residence shall not build more than one residence in any two year period without obtaining, at a minimum, a Class C Residential Contractor license.
Continuing Education Units
Certificates of Qualification expire 3 years from date of issuance and shall be renewed by that date. Certificate renewal shall consist of 8 hours of any International Code Council accredited Continuing Education Units as well as any pre-approved seminar from the Building Official.