- Planning & Building
- Contractor Licensing
The purpose is to provide minimum safety measures and equipment to protect property, workmen and the public as provided by the contractor licensing ordinance or otherwise prescribed by the Town of Jackson and other local, State or Federal regulations.
List of licensed contractors
ICC Testing Bulletin- Information
We will only accept an ICC National Standard Test that starts with G which indicates the test being based on the 2018 I-Codes.
The following trades are licensed under the contracting licensing ordinance set forth by the Town of Jackson. The time in service requirement for each trade can be found in Title 15-Chapter 15.36.050 of the Jackson Municipal Code.
- Building Contractor – Restricted (Class Br) – To contract for work of a non-structural nature in a commercial tenant space with a maximum gross floor area of 5000 square feet or less and for the construction, alterations and repairs of one and two family residences, townhouses and buildings accessory thereto. The prerequisite for this license is that the applicant shall have held a Class C license with The Town for the previous two years.
- Building Contractor (Class B) – To contract for the construction, alteration or repair of commercial buildings and single or multi-dwelling residential buildings, not exceeding three (3) stories in height. If you are testing for a Class B license, we require the applicant to provide 4 years of work experience with a portion of the work being commercial that we can verify. If the applicant is unable to provide the correct type of work experience or time in service, we will issue the next lower classification regardless of the test you take.
- Electrical Contractor – A person or company that holds a State of Wyoming electrical contractor license. Electrical contractors are not subject to the WAM testing program as referenced in 15.36.050 C.
- Fire Sprinkler Contractor - Installation, repair and maintenance of fire sprinkler systems including all necessary connections to the potable water supply and related back flow prevention devices.
- Gas Service Contractor - Installation, repair or maintenance of fuel gas systems.
- General Contractor (Class A) – To contract for the construction, alteration or repair of any type or size of structure. If you are testing for a Class A license, we require the applicant to provide 8 years of extensive commercial work that we can verify. If the applicant is unable to provide the correct type of work experience or time in service, we will issue the next lower classification regardless of the test you take.
- Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Contractor - Installation, alteration, addition to, relocation, or replacement of any heating, ventilating, cooling, refrigeration system, incinerators or other miscellaneous heat-producing appliances, to include gas piping of related equipment.
- Lawn Sprinkler Installer - Installation of water lines for lawn sprinkler systems, including their connection to potable water supply and related backflow prevention devices. The appropriately licensed low voltage or electrical contractor shall perform electrical installations.
- Low Voltage Electrical Contractor – A person or company that holds any or all of the low voltage electrical contractor categories and is licensed in those categories by the State of Wyoming. Low voltage electrical contractors are not subject to the WAM testing program as referenced in 15.36.050.
- Plumbing Contractor - Installation, alteration, addition or relocation of all sanitary plumbing, sanitary sewer and potable water supply and distribution piping, including all plumbing fixtures and traps and potable water-treating or water-using equipment, and including piping for transmission of chemicals, oil and gases, installation of steam and hydronic heating and chilled systems and water heaters and related vents. The appropriate licensed low voltage or electrical contractor shall perform electrical installations.
- Refrigeration Contractor - Installation and repair or maintenance of refrigeration systems for freezing or cooling cabinets and mechanically refrigerated air- conditioning units.
- Residential Contractor (Class C) – To contract for the construction, alterations and repairs of one and two family residences, and buildings accessory thereto.
- Water Conditioning Installer - Installation and repair of potable water softeners and filtering equipment, including all necessary connections to the potable water supply and drainage system and related backflow prevention devices. The appropriately licensed low voltage or electrical contractor shall perform electrical installations.
- Wood Stove/Gas Stove Installer - Installation, alteration, or relocation of any solid fuel or gas heating appliance and venting.
A homeowner who constructs, alters or repairs their own residence that they occupy, including accessory buildings may do so without a contractor’s license. A homeowner cannot construct an ARU. A homeowner building their own residence shall not build more than one residence in any two year period without obtaining, at a minimum, a Class C Residential Contractor license.
Certificate of Qualification (COQ)
A Certificates of Qualification card shall be required of individuals for all types of work involving skills as specified and classified above. In lieu of a Town of Jackson Certificate of Qualification card, masters, journeyman, and apprentices in the electrical trade shall hold the appropriate card(s) issued by the State of Wyoming.While engaged in a building or trade activity, the Certificate of Qualification card shall be in the possession of the individual. Every contractor shall be required to have in their employ a person holding a master certificate of qualification (COQ) card in such classification as the license is issued. The license shall be valid only as long as the named master shall remain in the employ of the licensee in an active, full-time capacity.
Master and Journeyman
Masters who are not the master of record for a company and Journeymen should use step one below to obtain a certificate of qualification card from the Town of Jackson in their trade.
The first step in the contractor licensing process is to obtain a Certificate of Qualification (COQ) card for the master of record. It is a card that is issued from the Town of Jackson to the Master of Record. In Lieu of a Town of Jackson COQ card, Electrical Contractors provide the Town with their applicable State of Wyoming electrical cards. Electrical/LV Contractors automatically go to step two in the licensing process. Once the COQ card is approved, step two is converting the card to a contractors’ license. When that step is completed the contractor is valid to work in the Town of Jackson and Teton County.
There are 2 options to choose from for obtaining the COQ card.
Option 1 - Testing
The Town uses the International Code Council National Contractor/Trades Examination. We will only accept test under the current code that we have adopted. If you choose to test you still must meet the minimum time in service requirement for the trade you are testing for.
The master/qualifier will schedule the test through Pearson View testing facility. When the master/qualifier passes they will be given a testing certificate showing the test they took and that they passed. To start the licensing process the master/qualifier will need to submit a copy of the testing certificate they received, a completed certificate of qualification application, copy of their drivers license and the application fee. Testing Information.
Option 2 - Reciprocity
The master/qualifier is currently licensed and in good standing in one of the states listed on the attached link. To start the licensing process the master/qualifier must fill out a certificate of qualification application, provide a copy of their drivers license, attach verification of license from reciprocating state and the application fee.
Once the COQ card is approved and the master/qualifier of the company is notified or the applicant is an Electrical/Low Voltage contractor, then the contractor license can be applied for by filling out the contractor license application, providing the Town with the required document checklist and paying the initial fee of $400. Bond Form Link
Continuing Education Units
Certificates of Qualification (COQ) expire 3 years from date of issuance and shall be renewed by that date. If the COQ card is not renewed, the card will be closed and the card holder will have to apply/go through the process for a new card. The Certificate renewal shall consist of 8 hours of any International Code Council accredited Continuing Education Units as well as any pre-approved seminar from the Building Official. We will also accept any 8 hours of online continuing education if taken through the ICC Learning Center website.
- IDABO 2023 EDUCATION INSTITUTE
IDABO will be hosting their annual 2023 Education Institute. Attendees are given the option of online or in-person attendance.
Dates: January 24 - January 26, 2023
Location: Nampa Civic Center-311 3rd St S, Nampa, ID 83651
Information regarding classes, hotel, and Registration form can be found here: IDABO 2023 Education Institute
- LAS VEGAS 2023 EDUCODE
Educode 2023 is once again proud to provide premier education, training, and networking for everyone who attends. This year classes will be provided both live and virtual to help accommodate every need of the code professional. With over 100 classes to choose from, all are ICC preferred provider approved and many AIA certified.
Dates: February 27 - March 3, 2023
Location: Orleans Hotel-4500 West Tropicana Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89103
Information regarding classes, hotel, and Registration form can be found here: Las Vegas 2023 EduCODE
- 2023 COLORADO CHAPTER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE
The 38th Annual Educational Institute is back and once again will provide quality and comprehensive code related education for code professionals, design professionals, and contractors. All classes are in person.
Dates: March 6 - March 10, 2023
Location: Embassy Suites Hotel Conference Center-4705 Clydesdale Parkway, Loveland, CO 80538
Information regarding classes, hotel, and Registration form can be found here:2023 Colorado Chapter Educational Institute