Motorists Reminded That School Will Be Back In Session Soon
The Town of Jackson and the Jackson Police Department are reminding motorists to be extra alert this time of year as school will be back in session starting Tuesday, September 6. It is an exciting time for children, especially children who will be attending school for the very first time. Unfortunately, this also means that young, inexperienced children are in the traffic mix walking along the side of roads and waiting for buses. Please watch carefully for children near school buildings, in areas where school buses are traveling, and where there are signs for school zones and bus stops. Remember, if you are approaching a school bus from either the front or behind, and its yellow lights are flashing, the bus is preparing to stop. If the buses red lights are flashing you must stop.
Motorists are asked to drive cautiously and allow themselves plenty of time to get to their destinations especially at times children will be getting on or off school buses. Jackson Police will be enforcing speed limits and school bus passing violations in and around school areas and where children are being picked up and dropped off. The safety of children, cyclists, and motorists is a top priority for the police department. Motorists can help reduce risk to children going to and from school by:
* Slowing down in school and residential areas
* Watching for clues that give warning of children in the area (bicycles, crossing guards, school busses)
* Obeying all traffic signs/symbols
* Avoiding school zones, if possible, during arrival and dismissal hours
* Clearing any frost, fog or snow from windows before driving
Parents are encouraged to instruct their children about safe crossing practices before the opening of the school year including using sidewalks, crosswalks, and designated school crossings whenever possible.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians:
* Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk and you have to walk in the road, always walk FACING traffic
* Wear bright colored clothing to increase visibility
* Cross only at corners or marked crosswalks
* Stop at the curb, or the edge of the road
* Walk in groups, there is safety in numbers. Drivers are more likely to see groups of people
* Before crossing the street, stop and look left, then right, then left again
* If you see a car, wait until it goes by. Then look left, right and left again until no cars are coming
Safety Tips for Bicyclist:
* Wear a helmet
* Be sure to have reflectors on your pedals, frame, and wheels
* Be Seen – Be Aware – Be Predictable
* Follow the Rules of the Road - Ride on the right, with traffic, in single file. Obey stop signs and traffic lights. Never cross a street without looking for cars. Give the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks.
The Town of Jackson and the Jackson Police Department wish all students a great school year and ask the entire community to join them in encouraging school safety throughout the year.