Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
View All Calendars is the default. Choose Select a Calendar to view a specific calendar. Subscribe to calendar notifications by clicking on the Notify Me® button, and you will automatically be alerted about the latest events in our community.
The applicant, Chabad Lubavitch of Wyoming, requests permission to use the Town Square to showcase a Menorah Display from November 30, 2018 (set-up) to December 14, 2018. The display is approximately eight feet tall and five feet wide. The purpose of the event is to celebrate and raise awareness of Hanukkah. The applicant will turn on one bulb on the first night and an additional bulb will be turned on each night of Hanukkah at around 5:00 PM. The applicant requests that the Menorah remain lit (turned on) all night. The proposed Menorah requires an electrical power outlet and has LED bulbs. As in year’s past, the applicant is also requesting permission for a small community gathering on December 8th at 7:00 p.m. Approximately 20 people expected to gather to light the Menorah & sing a few songs. The event will last approximately 30-45 minutes and will be led by Rabbi Zalman Mendelsohn. During this gathering no microphones, mega-phones or other forms of amplified sound will be used. The applicant has requested to display the Menorah in the Town Square on the corner of Broadway and Center.
This application has been submitted to Town departments for review and approval.
This event has been approved in years past.
At the November 18, 2013 Special Workshop Meeting, the Jackson Town Council approved a policy regarding unattended holiday displays in Town Square. The Town Square Holiday Display policy states the following:
1. All unattended holiday display applications shall be subject to the standard, uniform special event application process and be subject to all standard departmental reviews;
2. All unattended holiday displays shall be displayed for no more than 14 consecutive days (this does NOT include one day before and one day after display for setup and teardown respectively);
3. All unattended holiday displays shall be placed on the eastern quadrant of the Town Square;
4. The timing of an unattended holiday display application shall have no bearing on the ultimate location of a display on the Town Square, instead the location of each display shall be awarded by lottery;
5. All unattended holiday displays will include a placard noting the group that sponsored the display.
Special Event Application.
Parks and Rec staff to provide access to electricity and provide irrigation locates if necessary.
The Town Attorney has reviewed the application and determined that such a display is not in violation of the establishment clause of the First Amendment. That being said, should Council wish to restrict the event, they may do so on the basis of time, place and manner. Any policy or action that restricts religious activities or symbols shall be consistently applied to all religious events or symbols on the Town Square.
Staff recommends that Council approval of the event include the following conditions:
I move to approve the application request for the Menorah Display on the Town Square from November 30, 2018 to December 14, 2018 subject to the conditions and restrictions listed in the staff report.