The purpose of a special use permit is to individually and publicly review the configuration, density, and intensity of a use that is inherently incompatible with the character of all zones, but essential to the community and therefore some provision must be made for its existence and operation. Special uses require additional, site-specific conditions to limit and mitigate effects that may be adverse to the desired character of the zone.
When Is This Required?
Uses that require a special use permit are identified in the standards for each zone.
- How Long: Up to 150 days after application deemed sufficient
- Who Decides:
- Recommendation: Planning Commission
- Final Decision: Town Council
View an info-graphic (PNG) detailing the special use permitting process.
Special use permit fees are $2,500.
- Your project will be reviewed by several departments in addition to Planning, so when drafting your project description/narrative please provide as much detail pertaining to existing site conditions (i.e. lot size, existing development, etc.) and proposed physical changes (i.e. FAR, setbacks, parking, affordable housing, etc.). In addition, you will be tasked with detailing how the proposed project is consistent with numerous physical development standards found within the zoning district for which the project is located.
- When writing a housing mitigation plan, please follow the directions found within the Jackson Teton County Housing Mitigation checklist in addition to filling out a separate Employee or Affordable Housing Calculation Worksheet.
- When submitting plans (i.e. site plans, floor plans and elevations), be sure that all plans are dimensioned and to-scale.
- The Notarized Letter of Authorization is needed when the Applicant is not the the owner of the property.
How to Apply
A pre-application conference is required prior to submission of a special use permit. An environmental analysis may be required prior to submission of a special use permit. A neighborhood meeting (PDF) is optional. An application must be submitted within 1 year of pre-application conference.
Please submit an application packet with nine hard copies and one digital copy (via email to firstname.lastname@example.org) that includes the following:
- Application Fee
- Application Form (PDF)
- Floor Plans (if Applicable)
- Items Identified in Pre-Application Conference Summary Checklist
- Narrative Description of the Use
- Notarized Letter of Authorization (PDF)
- Site Plan (if Applicable)
- Summary Table to Demonstrate Compliance With Dimensional Standards (Example: Height, Setbacks, FAR, etc.)
- Other Pertinent Information