The purpose of a Conditional Use Permit is to individually and publicly review the configuration, density, and intensity of a use that is generally compatible with the character of a zone, but requires additional, site-specific conditions to limit and mitigate effects that may be adverse to the desired character of the zone.
When Is This Required?
Section 6.1.1 of the land development regulations (LDRs) contains the use schedule for all zones. Allowed uses that require a conditional use permit are denoted with a “C.” You can also determine whether a conditional use permit is required by referencing subsection C of the applicable zone.
- How Long: Up to 150 days after application deemed sufficient
- Who Decides:
- Recommendation: Planning Commission
- Final Decision: Town Council
View an info-graphic (PNG) detailing the conditional use permitting process.
- Your project will be reviewed by several departments in addition to Planning, so when drafting your project description/narrative please provide as much detail pertaining to existing site conditions (i.e. lot size, existing development, etc.) and proposed physical changes (i.e. scale of development, building height, etc.). In addition, you will be tasked with detailing how the proposed project is consistent with numerous physical development standards found within the zoning district for which the project is located.
- Housing Mitigation Calculator
- Housing Mitigation Plan Checklist (PDF)
- When submitting plans (i.e. site plans, floor plans and elevations), be sure that all plans are dimensioned and to-scale.
- The Notarized Letter of Authorization is needed when the Applicant is not the the owner of the property.
How to Apply for a Conditional Use Permit
A pre-application conference is required prior to submittal of a conditional use permit. An environmental analysis may be required prior to submittal of a Conditional Use Permit. A neighborhood meeting (PDF) is optional. An application must be submitted within 1 year of pre-application conference.
Please submit an application packet via email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following:
(Your Planner will discuss with you when paper copies are due for the Planning Commissioners)
- Application Fee: To pay the fee via credit card (visa, master card, discover) call 307-733-0440 X 1302
- Application Form (PDF)
- Floor Plans (if Applicable)
- Items Identified in Pre-Application Conference Summary Checklist
- Narrative Description of the Use
- Notarized Letter of Authorization (PDF)
- Site Plan (if Applicable)
- Summary Table to Demonstrate Compliance With Dimensional Standards (Example: Height, Setbacks, LSR, etc.)
- Housing Mitigation Plan
- Other Pertinent Information
A conditional use permit on its own has a fee of $3,005. Concurrent permits with another application requiring public hearing have a fee of $601.