The purpose of a formal interpretation is to provide a written answer to a specific question on the application of a provision of these land development regulations (LDRs) or the boundaries or classifications of the official zoning map independent from any other review procedure. A formal interpretation provides consistency in the implementation of these LDRs.
When Is This Required?
A formal interpretation may be requested to interpret any provision of these LDRs or boundary or classification of the official zoning map. The Planning Director may require a different application to be filed if an interpretation should be evaluated in the context of a full application rather than as a separate question.
- How Long: Up to 60 days after application submission
- Who Decides:
- Final Decision: Planning Director
A formal interpretation will not be provided regarding the following issues:
- An increase in the maximum density of a use or development option.
- An increase in the floor area of a physical development or development option (e.g., FAR, maximum scale of development).
- Allowance of a not previously permitted physical development, use, or development option, except under a similar use determination.
- Enlargement of a nonconformity beyond its allowed expansion.
- Reduction of a requirement where an option for independent calculation of the requirement exists (e.g., housing, development exactions).
How to Apply
Please submit an application packet via email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following (paper applications are not accepted):
- Application Fee (please deliver check or call with a credit card after emailing the application packet)
- Application Form (PDF)
- Circumstances: Briefly describe the circumstances to be evaluated in making the interpretation
- Interpretation Requested: Identify the LDR provision or boundary or classification of the zoning map for which you are requesting an interpretation
- Notarized Letter of Authorization (PDF)
- Other Pertinent Information
Formal interpretation fees are $500.