Inspections are a verification process conducted throughout construction as required by the adopted International Building Codes, by local ordinances and by law. The permit holder or their agent shall make the inspection request 24 hours in advance once that work is ready for inspection. It shall be the duty of the person requesting any inspection required to provide access to, and means for inspection of such work.
Work shall not be done beyond the point indicated in each successive inspection without first obtaining the signed approval from the Building Inspector. Any portions that do not comply shall be corrected and such portion shall not be covered or concealed until authorized by the Building Inspector.
Scheduling an Inspection
Once the work is complete an inspection can be requested through the Inspection Request Hotline. All inspection requests will be scheduled 24 hours from the time of the request, as available by the Building Inspector. Requests for same day inspections are not available.
Upon requesting an inspection the Building Inspector will contact you that evening or the next business day to confirm your request and to give you a time frame when the inspection will be conducted. Due to the number and varied nature of inspections in the town, appointments cannot be made.
What to Provide
Regularly scheduled inspections are conducted Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. When you are ready for an inspection from the Town of Jackson’s Building Department please call the Building Inspection Hotline at 307-733-0520, ext. 1351 and provide the following information.
- Address and name of project
- Date and time when the item will be ready for inspection
- Permit number
- Type of inspection(s) requested
- Your name
- Your phone number
Please make sure you have a good phone connection and speak slowly in a clear manner.
The following are required during inspections:
- The Building Permit, Inspection Card and Stamped Town of Jackson reviewed plan set must be on-site and accessible for the inspector.
- All work for the inspection must be complete and in place. Failure to have the work completed will constitute a failed inspection and will need to be rescheduled through the Inspection Request Hotline.
- Partial Inspections are not permitted unless authorized by the Building Official. A combination Rough/Frame inspection can be scheduled only after the Rough Electrical Inspection is complete.
- All work is to be uncovered with OSHA approved safe access to all locations being inspected. Failure to have the work uncovered or means of inspection via safe access will constitute a failed inspection.
- Construction is to put in place as per the Town of Jackson’s reviewed and stamped construction documents. Deviations or changes from the plans are not allowed. All construction document changes need to be stamped by the applicable design team member and submitted to the Town of Jackson as an amendment for review.
The complete set of approved permit plans are required to be on site for all inspections. Failure to be ready for a requested inspection may result in a $50 re-inspection fee. 24 hour notice is required for all inspection requests.
Other Involved Departments
The Town of Jackson Building Department only provides inspections applicable to the Building Department located in the town limits. Inspections required by other departments or in Teton County will need to be scheduled through the appropriate department. Included below is a list of other departments often involved in the inspection process.
- Engineering Department Inspection: Call
- Fire/Electrical Department Inspection(s): Call
- Health Department Inspection: Call
- Planning Department Inspection: Call 307-733-0440, ext. 1304
- Teton County Building Inspections: Call
As applicable, all other departments must inspect and sign-off on the Permit/Inspection Card prior to scheduling a Final Building Inspection.
Once all departments have signed off on the Permit Inspection card please return card to Kelly Bowlin to process the Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Completion (depending on your project type). If you have questions regarding the process contact Kelly.
- Kelly Bowlin- 307-733-0440 X 1352 or email@example.com