***** Important Notice *****
Website Update for July 10, 2020
As directed by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention and leadership, the Town of Jackson is implementing social distancing practices to minimize health risks to our community in regards to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes modifications to the inspection process.
Effective May 26, 2020 The Town of Jackson will be conducting in-person inspections on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays and digital inspections on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Town will be utilizing the following process for conducting inspections until further notice;
1. The permit holders or authorized agents should request their inspections via the building inspection request line 24 hours in advance. Inspections requests not received by 3:30 P.M. will not be conducted the next business day and will be scheduled with the following business day.
2. Partial inspections will only be conducted as necessary for the sequence of inspection as approved by the town inspector/building official. Combination inspections are strongly encouraged and may be required by the building department. The Town will not be conducting supplement inspections to special inspections at this time and will consider the approved special inspection as a passed inspection. The 3rd party inspector will need to email the results to our building inspector.
3. All inspection requests should be very specific as to what is being inspected and at what locations. All construction related to the items being inspected should have previously been reviewed and approved by the design team and building official prior to construction (stamped plans). Unauthorized or incomplete work will constitute a failed inspection.
4. Inspections can be done via FaceTime (preferred) or Webex. This will require a compatible device from the user requesting the inspection. A cell phone number for the FaceTime inspection should be provided with the inspection request as well as an email address. If you do not have the ability to FaceTime or Webex please contact the building inspector for additional inspection options.
5. FaceTime or Webex inspections will be conducted between 8:00-Noon and from 1:00-3:30 P.M. Please provide a two hour window within these times listed above that you will be available for the inspection. The building inspector will then be in contact (at end of day or first thing in the morning) to try and reduce the two hour window to a shorter time frame and discuss the inspection request. Communication via text may transpire to facilitate coordination efforts.
6. The building inspector will try to make every effort to contact you during the agreed time. The inspector will try to contact you a minimum of three times within the time frame agreed upon to try and conduct the inspection. After three failed attempts, the inspection will be considered not ready and it will need to be rescheduled via the inspection line.
7. Inspection results will be sent to the email address provided the Town of Jackson.
8. If the above is not able to be accomplished by the contractor/owner arrangements will need to be made through the Building Official so that we can find a way to conduct the inspection. This could place the possibility that the inspection could be out for up to 3 days before we could accomplish it.
This is a temporary measure under the current extreme situation and is not meant as a substitution for required Town inspections under normal circumstances. Any inspections conducted during this period will be recorded as being completed under these terms. Inspections conducted during this period may be somewhat compromised by this method but the Contractor and property owner shall always be responsible for code compliance no matter what the circumstances. If later inspections reveal noncompliance with Code or approved plans or development approvals, failure to so discover during these violations or failures during utilization of abbreviated inspections shall not constitute a waiver of the Town’s ability to enforce the adopted Codes or the scope of issued permits and approvals. If any portion of the permitted scope of work inspected in this manner comes under future scrutiny or produces any sort of questionable construction or is found defective the Town assumes no additional liability beyond what is defined in the currently adopted Building Code and the Contractor carries all normally assumed and assigned liability as defined by Code, Profession and Licensing.
We appreciate everyone’s patients and understanding as we work to maintain the integral health of our community with the building life safety of our community. Please feel free to call or contact the Building Official or Building Inspector with any questions or concerns.
Effective March 18, 2020, The Town will be utilizing the following process for in-take and issuing permits until further notice
Procedures for the intake of all building, PROW, GEC, demolition permits and addendum:
• Please email all electronic submittal materials to Kelly Bowlin. We will not be taking hard copies at this time.
• A $250.00 nonrefundable plan review fee will be due for all commercial building permit submittals. Please contact Kelly Bowlin with your credit card information or leave payment in a marked envelope in the drop box in front of Town Hall.
• If for some reason you are unable to email an electronic copy to this office, please contact Kelly Bowlin for other options.
Procedures for obtaining trade permits:
• Electrical, HVAC and Plumbing permit applications can be found online under their respective tabs on the Building Department page.
• Fill out the application – fees are on the back.
• If a building permit is associated with the trade permit, please provide us with the corresponding number.
• Applications along with payment can be mailed in or left in the drop box outside Town Hall or else they can be emailed to Kelly Bowlin and paid with a credit card over the phone.
• Once processed you will receive your permit based on how it was received.
• Any work requiring a trade permit and inspection defined in the appropriate code shall be installed by a licensed contractor with a valid Town of Jackson Contractor’s license.
• Trades permits must be obtained prior to starting the work. If not, a penalty fee will be assessed.
Procedures for picking up permits:
• Once payment is received, depending on the permit type, we will email you the permit along with the conditions of approval and appropriate inspection cards.
• All other permit types, excluding trade permits will need to schedule a pickup time with Kelly Bowlin.
Inspections are a verification process conducted throughout construction as required by the adopted International Building Codes, by local ordinances and by law.
Commercial building permits are required in the Town of Jackson to assure the development is consistent with building codes and other applicable regulations.
Learn about the purpose and requirements for contractor licensing.
Find out about the demolition permit process.
View a list of required design criteria for building in the Town of Jackson.
Electrical permits are required for all permanent wiring installed in buildings and structures and are issued for work to be completed as listed on the electrical permit application.
Find out about how the Building Division controls grading erosion.
House numbering is the system of giving a unique number to each building in a street or area, with the intention of making it easier to locate a particular building. All numbers are assigned by the Planning and Building Department.
Read the requirements for getting a mechanical permit.
Review the permit fees and cost schedules associated with building.
See what is required for plumbing projects.
Find the regulations for public right of ways.
Access useful reports put together by the Building Division.
A residential building permit is required in the Town of Jackson to construct any new one and two family dwellings, residential additions, residential remodels, and other improvements in order to assure that the construction is consistent with building codes and other applicable regulations.